All Saints, Porthcawl
There’s no need to build a church unless there is someone to go to it and the town of Porthcawl didn’t exist until the middle of the nineteenth century. The district was served by Saint John the Baptist’s church at Newton, founded by the Normans in 1189 and this is still the parish church.
The Abbey of Margam, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, dates from the second half of the twelfth century. No documentary evidence relating to Margam exists prior to the arrival of the Normans, but the presence of numerous carved and inscribed monuments, now housed at the Stones Museum, indicates an earlier Christian presence. The abbey is believed to have been built on or near the site of an important Celtic monastic house.
St David's Church
St David’s Church in Nottage came into existence in 1948. Before this time Communion Services had been held in a house named ‘Redlands’ in West Road. However, soon after the end of the Second World War steps were taken to have a church built in Nottage and a small wooden church was erected in 1948 on land kindly given by Mr. J. K. Blundell.
St James Church
St James Church, Pyle traditionally served the parish of Pyle and Kenfig, an area of great antiquity. A church of the same name served the medieval borough established by the Normans at Kenfig in the 12th century. Whatever is left of it now lies under a sea of sand that destroyed the town in the mid-fifteenth century. The only visible remains of the town is the ruined, lower section of the castle, originally a small tower keep
St John the Baptist Church
We don’t know when Saint John’s Church was built, but we do know that there was a priest here in 1189. His name was Glou and he was witness to a charter setting up the ‘novam villam’ or new town, ‘y drenewydd yn notais’, the New Town in Nottage, a small port.
St Mary Magdalene Church
Very Little documentation of the origin of the church building exists and so much of its story has been deduced from documents related to other events in the locality.
Probably built between 1245 and 1266 it has been decided to assume the church’s founding in 1255 and celebrate on the day of its’ Patronal Festival 22nd July.
St Theodore's Church
According to the booklet produced to celebrate 50 years of St Theodore’s, prior to 1878, occasional church services and Sunday School were held in Bryndu School. This school situated on School Road, Kenfig Hill had been established by the National Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, an Anglican organisation. There had however, been no serious attempt to secure regular church services.